Monday, February 18, 2013

Frugal Monday Menu - Poached Eggs in Sauce

Being self-employed again means money is tight (not that it wasn't before). So where to start tightening? Food is a good place to start. I'm searching my recipe box and the Internet for recipes that are frugal and good.

Eggs are my go-to cheap staple. I'm always looking for a new ways to use them. I found this recipe -- poached eggs in sauce -- a few years ago and it's turned out to be a great find. It's hardy, delicious and oh so cheap!



It's also easy. I love that combo.

There's not much to it. I could never master poaching eggs in the sauce, so I did it the easy way. First, I warmed a can of sauce in the microwave (in this case a can of Hunt's) and added some sauce into each bowl (I'm also not much into measuring). I poached six eggs in a pan of water and used a slotted spoon to drain the eggs and add to the bowls. I sprinkled with shredded Parmesan cheese. With the addition of a tube of biscuits (on sale at Walmart) and a green salad, dinner was served.

Everyone was on their own for dessert, which around here is usually fruit or cookies.

In all, I probably spent $5 on dinner. It's served me and my two big guys. Later, the son came back and grabbed the rest of the biscuits and sauce (his dessert). It's the kind of recipe that can be expanded with the addition of a few more eggs.

Do you have some interesting ways to use eggs? I'd love to hear about them!



No comments:

Post a Comment