Wednesday, March 6, 2013

3 Strategies for Staying On Track

Now that I'm working from home again, I have to admit... I don't always feel like working. It's too easy to get caught up on a 101 things or spend all afternoon on Pinterest. But between my previous life as a freelance writer and a whole lot of things I took part in during my corporate days (project management, six sigma and such), I've come away with a few strategies to keep me usually... mostly on track.


1.  Write it Down -- But not all if it mind you. If I added everything I should do, my list would be overwelming, so I make a list with the BIG points. And I make it a viewable list. This small whiteboard does the trick.

I also break my day's schedule down my WORK (things that make me money) and NON-WORK (still work, but of the housework variety).



2.  Stay Focused -- That's hard to do sometimes, but I've found using a timer is a big help and breaking my time down into manageable chucks even better.  Some days that might only be for 20 minutes at a time. But those 20 minutes while my timer is ticking away, I'm focused.

The timer also works when I get too focused (or should I say fixated). For me, that's research. I can spend way too much time. Or it works when I want to limit my playing time (like Pinterest).

What works best for me, it's about an 80/20 split. That's is 80% of my time doing what needs to be done and 20% and no work with a little fun stuff thrown in.



3.  Understand a Crash Can Happen -- I just don't beat myself up. Instead, I get to my feet, dust myself off and go at it again. 

After all Coco Channel once said: "Success is often achieved by those who don't know that failure is inevitable."

 Hmm, I wonder if she ever fell on her head!? 

Have a good evening, everyone!

Till later...

Katherine

 

No comments:

Post a Comment